Monday, August 2, 2010


Monday, July 26

Today is a fine day for digging – mild with some sun, although the local folks I am working with start commenting on the heat as soon as it gets in the low 60’s. One of the local volunteers, a young woman named Hilli is back today. She never stops talking – conversing with the earthworms, flying creatures, her finds, her “boooket”, (she has bought her own bucket for dirt, why, I have no idea as there are plenty onsite), those working around her and the air when nothing else is available.
We are really making progress is our pit now. We have a clearly defined stone lined pit with a much smaller clay lined pit becoming clear during the day. It still remains a mystery as to what it was used for, other than something for cattle, as we continue to pull out large quantities of bone.
Today is Teddy the Youngers 18th birthday. We visit a pub but a crawl does not ensue, as we return to the house for mass consummation of hard cider. Oddly enough, this seems to have become the drink of choice among the youngest group, probably because it is sweet and a novelty as hard cider is very popular in the U.K. but not in the States. Replacing beer for cider we begin playing “cider-pong”. I pass, as I really don’t like hard cider. However eventually I agree to join a team on the condition I don’t have to drink as our cups are eliminated. It turns out I have a knack for the game, winning most of the cups for our team and soundly defeating the other team. I decide to quit while I am ahead, undefeated and champion. I RULE!
I retire a little later, as it is clear this party will go on late into the night.

About the image:

A hole in the clouds.

No comments:

Post a Comment